County Assessor Inspections during the COVID-19 Outbreak
COVID-19 Property Assessment Inspection Policy.pdf
Michael Sheplee, SAMA
The purpose of this communication is to explain how Martin County Assessment staff will conduct property inspections during the COVID-19 outbreak. The Assessor’s Office is committed to the health, safety, and welfare of the public and staff. The Assessor’s Office is also committed to continuing to provide the community with the essential services delivered by their department.
In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, Martin County has implemented employee education and practices aimed at reducing the spread of the virus, such as:
- Hand hygiene, hand washing, and sanitizing;
- Covering the nose and mouth with a tissue or flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing;
- Social distancing;
- Staying home when sick;
- Minimizing public access to County
County employees will be observing these measures at all times, and staff asks that property owners and tenants also commit to the recommended measures listed for limiting transmission of the virus.
The Assessor’s Office staff will be conducting quintile inspections for only those properties meeting exterior inspection policy criteria until further notice.
Interior inspections for valuation appeal purposes will be limited to those deemed absolutely necessary with the following protocol in place:
- Social distancing of a minimum of six feet will be observed, additional Center for Disease Control guidelines may also be implemented if deemed
- The individual(s) intended to meet staff cannot be sick or showing any symptoms of a cold or the flu. Individuals who are not pertinent to the purpose of the interior inspection are asked to remain out of the area until the inspection has been completed. This will ensure proper social distancing and minimize the congregating of
- Staff will request that the property owner/tenant have all doors open for staff prior to their arrival at the property as to minimize staff contact with surfaces within the
- When an interior inspection is requested and deemed absolutely necessary, staff will ask the individual requesting the inspection whether these safety practices will be in place before staff arrives onsite, as well as who will be onsite at the time of
- Staff is authorized to be situationally flexible, and, when possible and practical, use photographs, video and other methods as appropriate to observe and document property finishes, features, and condition.